[B-Greek] John 2:15

Oun Kwon kwonbbl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 13:04:08 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Barry <nebarry at verizon.net> wrote:

<clipped>

> I had no idea that this was at all controversial, until ...

Me too, until this very subject is brought up on the list ;-)

<clipped>

> This means that the "resolution" must be sought on broader hermeneutical
> grounds which I don't think the moderators would care for us to pursue.

Thematically (hermeneutically) speaking, it is interesting to note
that animals here mentioned only in G-John, leaving Jesus Himself the
one true sacrifice in the Temple (v. 19). Neither G-Mark nor G-Mt have
animals driven out. He 'drove out those who were selling ~'. Here in
G-John, the people are not included (extracted from Matson).

> But Yancy, thanks for reminding me that my personal confidence in how right
> I am doesn't necessarily equate to reality!  :)

True, I still find something I thought I understood turn up to be
completely out of the context. E.g. Mt 13:12 'Whoever has ~~ whoever
has not.'  For whatever is in ellipsis I myself (at least tried to
understand and) got it wrong all along, until yesterday I had a chance
to fall on modern easy reading (paraphrase) translations, NIrV and
ERV.

Oun Kwon