[B-Greek] John 2:15

jgibson000 at comcast.net jgibson000 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 9 10:53:29 EDT 2010

On 8/9/2010 8:01 AM, Barry wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: <yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net>

Not according to Jean Lasserre “Un contresens tenace,” Cahiers de la
Réconciliation (October 1967): 3–21  (Englished by John Howard Yoder as
"The Whip in the Temple. A Tenacious Misinterpretation",. in Occasional
Papers of the Council of Mennonite Seminaries and Institute of Mennonite
Studies No. 1, ed.  W. M. Swartley, Elkhart 1981, 35-49), who has
examined all of the NT uses of TE KAI and who notes that in 86 of these
cases a rendering comparable to "as well as the sheep and the oxen"
would be impossible,  in five it would be possible but is not so
rendered by translators, and that it is only in John 2:15 that
translators so render it.

To my knowledge, both Bultmann and Schnakenburg reject your view, as
does G.H.C. MacGreggor (The New Testament Basis of Pacifism),  who each
note that the normal sense of TE KAI is to indicate a list, not to
continue a series beginning with "them all".

If memory serves,  a full discussion of the grammatical issues involved
appears in N. Clayton Croy's  "The Messianic Whippersnapper: Did Jesus
Use a Whip on People in the Temple (John 2:15)?",  Journal of Biblical
Literature128 (2009)  555-568.

Jeffrey

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)