[B-Greek] John 2:15

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Sun Aug 8 17:26:27 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Conrad" <cwconrad2 at mac.com>
To: "Alexander Ring" <akring at mac.com>
Cc: "greek B-Greek" <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 4:08 PM
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] John 2:15

>> Is that clear from the text? Is it clear that PANTAS is speaking of the
>> animals only?
>
> You really ought to include verse 14, which I think makes the matter
> clear:
>
> John 2:14 Καὶ εὗρεν ἐν τῷ ἱερῷ τοὺς πωλοῦντας βόας καὶ πρόβατα καὶ
> περιστερὰς καὶ τοὺς κερματιστὰς καθημένους,
> [KAI hEUREN EN TWi hIERWi TOUS PWLOUNTAS BOAS KAI PROBATA KAI PERISTERAS
> KAI TOUS KERMATISTAS KAQHMENOUS, ]
>
> The antecedent of πάντας [PANTAS] must be TOUS PWLOUNTAS BOAS KAI PROBATA
> KAI PERISTERAS KAI TOUS KERMATISTAS KAQHMENOUS; my take on
> TA TE PROBATA KAI TOUS BOAS is that they are "swept" out along with their
> sellers.

Just by way of emphasis, let me add that there is no way that PANTAS could
be restricted only to the animals.  It sounds like the claim has a
theological or moral motivation, rather than one based on Greek syntax.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Savatori Excellence in Education Winner)
Mentor, TNARS
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry