[B-Greek] John 2:15

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Sun Aug 8 16:08:42 EDT 2010

On Aug 8, 2010, at 3:34 PM, Alexander Ring wrote:

> καὶ ποιήσας φραγέλλιον ἐκ σχοινίων πάντας ἐξέβαλεν ἐκ τοῦ ἱεροῦ τά τε πρόβατα καὶ τοὺς βόας,
>
> KAI POIHSAS FRAGELLION EK SXOINIWN PANTAS EXEBALEN EK TOU IEROU TA TE PROBATA KAI TOUS BOAS
>
> I remember being taught that while Jesus makes the whip from the rope, John's Greek indicates he is using it on the animals, not the people. Now looking at this today I'm not so certain that is clear.
>
> Is that clear from the text? Is it clear that PANTAS is speaking of the animals only?

You really ought to include verse 14, which I think makes the matter clear:

John 2:14 	Καὶ εὗρεν ἐν τῷ ἱερῷ τοὺς πωλοῦντας βόας καὶ πρόβατα καὶ περιστερὰς καὶ τοὺς κερματιστὰς καθημένους,
[KAI hEUREN EN TWi hIERWi TOUS PWLOUNTAS BOAS KAI PROBATA KAI PERISTERAS KAI TOUS KERMATISTAS KAQHMENOUS, ]

The antecedent of πάντας [PANTAS] must be TOUS PWLOUNTAS BOAS KAI PROBATA KAI PERISTERAS KAI TOUS KERMATISTAS KAQHMENOUS; my take on
TA TE PROBATA KAI TOUS BOAS is that they are "swept" out along with their sellers.