[B-Greek] Question on I Timothy 2:1 (also I Timothy 2:9)

Oun Kwon kwonbbl at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 22:00:39 EDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Blue Meeksbay <bluemeeksbay at yahoo.com> wrote:

<clipped>
> (I believe WSAUTWS in verse 9 should be seen as referring back to
> BOULOMAI  and also PROSEUCESQAI  in verse 8, so that Paul is saying – *In like
> manner I desire the women to pray in proper attire, with modesty and
> discreteness – to adorn themselves, not with braided hair and gold, or pearls or
> expensive clothing, but with good works, (which is appropriate to women
> proclaiming piety.*).
>

> Blue Harris
>
> P.S.  Does anyone also believe that WSAUTWS in I Tim. 2:9 should include
> PROSEUCESQAI of verse 8?    It seems a similar passage would be Luke 22:19-20,
> where it seems the hWSAUTWS  of verse 20 should not only include LABWN but also
> EUCARISTHSAS, so that the verse should read, *And in like manner, after supper
> [he took] the cup, [and gave thanks] saying, etc.*

Hi Blue,

This is my try:

I'm coping here:

1Tm 2:9
WSAUTWS [KAI] GUNAIKAS
EN KATASTOLH KOSMIW META AIDOUS KAI SWFROSUNHS
KOSMEIN hEAUTAS
MH EN PLEGMASIN KAI CRUSIW H MARGARITAIS H hIMATISMW POLUTELEI

Here what is put in contrast are two verbs ('PROSEUCESQAI' v.8 and
'KOSMEIN' v.9), which are grammatically comparable (except one is
middle and another is active).

Also 1Tm 2:8-9 and Lk 22:19-20 don't seem to be in a comparable
structure. Here we have two agents (Paul-men/women), where as in Lk
it's only one agent (Jesus).

Oun Kwon.