[B-Greek] Frames-Scenarios

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Aug 6 06:10:28 EDT 2010

B-Greekers may recall that we had a bit of discussion not too long ago
about "scenarios" in the work of Richard Hoyle, _Scenarios, Discourse,
and Translation_ (http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-greek/2010-April/053166.html).
Richard Rhodes has a very nice, rather lengthy discussion this morning on the
Better Bibles Blog (http://betterbibles.com/2010/08/06/money-money-money/)
of what he refers to as the "commercial transaction frame in Koine."
And here's a linguist who apologizes in advance for  jargon but promises that
it will be worth our while to hear/read what he has to say on the matter:
"Sorry for the jargon laden announcement, but it’s worth talking about
what a frame is and why it’s important for translation. And, because the
 language of money and commerce is all over in the Scripture, with both
 literal and figurative uses, it makes sense to use the frame(s) evoked by
money as a place to learn about frames."
I think this is a VERY helpful, useful discussion.