[B-Greek] Rev 14:13 AP ARTI

Oun Kwon kwonbbl at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 16:05:47 EDT 2010

Thanks Iver,

The presence of mss variants may give some light. I am copying from  Philip
Comfort, NT Text and Translation Commentary – p. 850.

[The NEB and REB translators followed the first variant (‘LEGEI TO PNEUMA’ –
with ‘NAI’ lacking. - OJK ). They did so because they considered NAI
(“yes”), not found in P47 and א*, to be secondary. As such, the previous
phrase AP' ARTI (“from now on”) “must be construed with what follows”
(Tasker 1964, 444). If this is the true text, the Spirit does not begin his
speech with an affirmation of what the one from heaven said; rather, he goes
on to append a promise: “<Blessed are the dead, the ones dying in the Lord.
>From now on,> says the Spirit, <they may rest from their labors.>” This
differs from the TR WH NU reading, which would be rendered as follows:
“Blessed are the dead, the ones dying in the Lord from now on. Yes, says the
Spirit, they may rest from their labors.”]

When the phrase "AP' ARTI" is put to go with what the Spirit says, it is
there as a substitute of 'NAI'.

However, in that case, it may be better read as "APARTI" (as suggested in
BDAG), which seems to me, (eureka!), to carry the sense same as NAI, both
affirmatory.

Here is what I find in BDAG - I'm copying only relevant portion:

 p. 97 ἀπαρτἰ *APARTI* – adv. … *exactly, certainly, expressly* (ἀ. =
APHRTISMENWS, TELEIWS, AKRIBWS ……) considered by some to be the correct rdg.
For AP' ARTI *Rev 14:13* (so N. 24, 25; ἀπαρτἰ Tdf.), if NAI is rejected as
a gloss; also Mt 26:29, 64]

 p. 136 ἄρτι *ARTI* - (3) – ...  used w. prep. AP' ARTI *fr. now on* (Plato
Com., fgm. 143 K. APARTI for APRTI APO NUN [but s. L-S-J-M s.v. APARTI end])
AP' A. LEGW *Jn 13:19;* AP' A. GINWSKETE *14:7*; APOQNHiSKONTES AP' A. *Rev
14:13* (see s.v. APARTI and B-D-F §12).

As to your reading 'those who die in the Lord from now on are in a good
position' seems successful in making a better non nonsensical English ;-)  I
have some reservation on it to elaborate and bring up later.

Oun Kwon.

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 3:41 AM, Iver Larsen <iver_larsen at sil.org> wrote:

> Yes, I would be worried, too. NAI cannot follow AP' ARTI. The rendering by
> the Douay-Rheims version (And I heard a voice from heaven, saying to me:
> Write: Blessed are the dead, who die in the Lord. From henceforth now,
saith
> the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours) is caused by
translating
> word for word from the Vulgate:
> et audivi vocem de caelo dicentem
> scribe beati mortui qui in Domino moriuntur
> amodo iam dicit Spiritus ut requiescant a laboribus suis
>
> The amodo (henceforth) could go either way, I suppose. DR also follows the
> Vulgate in saying "now (iam)". It looks like amodo iam translates AP'
ARTI.
> I don't know what they did with NAI, but it is not a simple matter to say
> "yes" in Latin, I think. (I don't know Latin well.)
>
> The Greek text is:
> Καὶ ἤκουσα φωνῆς ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ λεγούσης, Γράψον· Μακάριοι οἱ νεκροὶ οἱ ἐν
> κυρίῳ ἀποθνῄσκοντες ἀπ᾽ ἄρτι. ναί, λέγει τὸ πνεῦμα, ἵνα ἀναπαήσονται ἐκ
τῶν
> κόπων αὐτῶν.
>
> KAI HKOUSA FWNHS EK TOU OURANOU LEGOUSHS, GRAFON: MAKARIOI hOI NEKROI hOI
EN