[B-Greek] Rev 14:13 AP ARTI

Jared Juntunen jared.juntunen at ymail.com
Tue Aug 3 22:07:48 EDT 2010

________________________________
Perhaps AP' ARTI doesn't have to be considered as related to an ambiguous "now"
as most translations *seem* to.
The Geneva reads: "Then I heard a voyce from heauen, saying vnto me, Write, The
dead which die in the Lord, are fully blessed. Euen so sayth the Spirit: for
they rest from their labours, and their workes follow them."

In my "Little Liddel" the entry for APARTI (as some texts read rather than AP'
ARTI):
APARTI, (APO, ARTIOS) Adv. Completely: in numbers, exactly, just.    II. just
the reverse, quite the contrary.    III. of time, =APO ARTI, for APO TOU NUN,
from now, from this time: --just now, even now.

For ARTI:
ARTI, Adv. just, exactly: just now, even now: straightway, forthwith: but also
of something just past, opp. to PALAI.    II. in compos. it mostly denotes what
has just happened.

In my opinion it feels kind of forced to apply the AP' ARTI to the second half
of the verse, especially with the NAI included. The DRB was translated from the
Latin Vulgate, not any Greek text. The Latin language lacks any word quite
analogous to Greek's NAI, so naturally it was left out. Also, I think the Latin
was translated from an Alexandrian text, some of which lack NAI anyhow. All
these considerations aside, most importantly, without NAI it becomes very easy
to place a division in the verse where the DRB has, with NAI it seems forced.
This is probably why every (or at least all that I have seen) translation from
the Greek divides the sentence where they do, applying AP' ARTI to hOI EN KURIWi
APOQNHiSKONTES.
Considering the glosses given by Liddell and Scott, I think you could then
translate this verse more like what Geneva has. Perhaps:

Completely blessed are the dead who dying in the Lord.

Or maybe:

Blessed are the dead, the ones even now dying in the Lord.

Jared Juntunen