[B-Greek] Rev 14:13 AP ARTI

John Sanders john.franklin.sanders at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 01:34:28 EDT 2010

My dear friend Oun,

I would look at this differently.  I hope this difference is not due to a
poor education on my part.  You introduce the concept of identifying hOI EN
KURIW APOQNHSKONTES as parenthetical.  Let me begin by using English first,
with two examples, one using the phrase as parenthetical (enclosing the
phrase in parenthesis) and the other otherwise.

1)  From now on happy are the dead (they dying in the Lord).

2)  Hence forth blessed are the dead, who are dying in the Lord.

>From my perspective I cannot see a lick of difference resulting from a
difference of categorizing the phrase hOI EN KURIW APOQNHSKONTES.

Now I did move the adverbial time phrase to the beginning of the phrases,
but in Indo-European languages that is often permissible.  The adverbial
time phrase can function at the phrase level, or so I have been led to
believe.

These words are not strangers to one another, but have a strong connection
which John describes.  He begins with a “what”.  MAKARIOI.  And he is
associating this MAKARIOI with a “who”, the hOI NEKROI.  But it is not with
just any NEKROI, but a specific NEKROI.  All NEKROI die, which is the way to
become a NEKROI, but John is describing the NEKROI that died in a certain
manner, EN KURIW APOQNHSKONTES.

The MAKARIOI, the hOI NEKROI, and the EN KURIW APOQNHSKONTES are all
connected, you should not think of one without the other aspects.  So the
adverbial time phrase will affect the whole, they all are AP’ ARTI.  But as
I look at it, the center of the theme, as well as the geometrical center, is
KURIOS.   The two outliers are based on this center.  The MAKARIOI is a
function of EN KURIW, as well as the other end, the AP’ ARTI.  My skill at
literary analysis is less than my skill at grammatical analysis.

John Sanders
Suzhou, China