[B-Greek] Translate Sprechen Sie Attich (Greek Phrasebook) into English?

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 2 22:17:23 EDT 2010

George wrote

<In a situation such as we are discussing "mostly correct" doesn't mean  "Can I
understand it."
 Rather, it means "Was it fairly commonly used in  the Attic dialect at the time
concerned.">

Hi, George.

Sure, I get that.

I think what happens quite often on B-Greek is that someone asks a question and
rather than really answer the question, the question serves as a trigger for
someone to
express a conviction and that conviction leads to an argument.  The argument has
almost
nothing to do with the original question.  Sometimes when two drunks fight over
a woman it
is not the woman they want, but the fight.

Not that this is a bad thing.

What would be really silly about continuing this argument about what "mostly
correct"
means is that you and I agree, I think, that Sprechen Sie Attich is just fine
the way it is,
and Randall, who I think raised the issue of whether its phrases should be
checked, AGREES
WITH ME COMPLETELY ABOUT THE UNDERLYING CONVICTION that I would be expressing
if I continued the argument.

So, let me just say that for me whether the phrases in Sprechen Sie Attich are
Koine or

Attic or common or not common or are found in attested texts or are not found in
attested
texts has nothing to do with the question of whether reading that book will
cause you to

use Ancient Greek (yes) and whether using Ancient Greek will help you to read
Ancient Greek
better (yes) and whether we should translate the bloody thing into English
(yes.)

 Mark L

FWSFOROS MARKOS

________________________________
In a situation such as we are discussing "mostly correct" doesn't mean "Can I
understand it."  Rather, it means "Was it fairly commonly used in the Attic
dialect at the time concerned."
 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,