[B-Greek] Translate Sprechen Sie Attich (Greek Phrasebook) intoEnglish?

Louis Sorenson llsorenson at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 2 19:21:59 EDT 2010

Well European copyright law would demand the book not be permitted until
70 years post mortem. Eduard Johnson used different alias' for his Greek
and Latin works (E. Joannhides and Georg Capella).  Eduard Johnson lived
from 1840-1903. Works later than that (1922 edition) are reprints.
So it looks like there should be no problem. The 1902 edition is available
on internet archive. http://www.archive.org/details/sprechensieatti00johngoog
which also lists the "Possible copyright status" as Not_in_copyright".

The book was published in Germany, so even in German copyright would apply
in the US (anything before 1923 is considered in the public domain in the
US), it is still 70 years after the author's death.

Info I have gleaned is as follows:

Biographisches Stichwort: ( http://www.richardwolf.de/latein/capellan.htm)
Capellanus, Georg (1840-1903)

Georg Capellanus war das Pseudonym des sächsischen Lehrers Eduard Johnson, der seinen Dienst als Professor am Gymnasium in Plauen aufgab, um Redakteur des Vogtländischen Anzeigers zu werden. Unter dem Pseudonym Joannides verfaßte er auch das Büchlein "Sprechen Sie Attisch?"

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduard_Johnson
Kategorien: Historiker | Redakteur | Deutscher | Geboren 1840 | Gestorben 1903 | Mann

Louis Sorenson  (L. Sorenides)

On Aug 2, 2010, at 8:08 AM, James Spinti wrote:

> This sounds like a wonderful project, but I think you had better check the European copyright laws first. They are much stricter than the US.

Oddly enough, the book was reprinted in March 2010 by Nabu Press (http://tinyurl.com/2u6vrph).
The blurb: "This is an EXACT reproduction of a book published before 1923. This IS NOT an OCR'd book with strange characters, introduced typographical errors, and jumbled words. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works worldwide. We appreciate your understanding of the imperfections in the preservation process, and hope you enjoy this valuable book."

I see no reason why it might not be Englished, but there probably are copyright details that need to be sorted out.

Carl W. Conrad