[B-Greek] Translate Sprechen Sie Attich (Greek Phrasebook) into English?

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Mon Aug 2 05:37:07 EDT 2010

On Aug 1, 2010, at 9:07 PM, Louis Sorenson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to get the book Sprechen Sie Attisch, by E.  Joannides, 1902 (latest edition 1922), translated into English and put it into the public domain. Perhaps someone out there who knows German well (mine is very rusty) would be willing to partner over the coming year to translate this into English. I would be happy to type the Fraktur into Latin characters and the Greek into Unicode. The only thing I need is someone to translate the passages of German (early on) and the Deutch glosses into English.
>
> The book can be found on Google Books at http://books.google.com/books?id=21oQAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=sprechen+sie+attisch&hl=en&ei=oBhWTLPJIcaInQfq5vjGAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false.  This book is the 1902 edition. There is apparently a 1922 edition, which may be the same.
>
> This book is very helpful for those who want to learn by an active learning methodology as it is based on phrases and idioms that frequently occur in authors.
>
> So any takers?. The book is only 80 pages long. If you are interested, send me an email off-list. I think this could easily be done in a year with little effort.

Sowas möchte ich gern unternehmen! This book was first called to our attention a little less than a year ago
(http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-greek/2009-August/050227.html) I downloaded it then,
upon which I offered a version of one of the little dialogues:
(http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-greek/2009-August/050228.html)

This looks like great fun; it's a little book (it wouldn't violate the
dictum of Callimachus, MEGA BIBLION MEGA KAKON): 89 pages
in the PDF file, including the front and back cover.

Anyone want to share in the fun? This would be, as the old saying
goes, "finer than frog's hair split four ways."