[B-Greek] Carl Conrad's account of Voice and Deponency

Alia Duffy alia.duffy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 17:30:52 EDT 2010

Ben,

I notice that in English if you 'heal a diseass' you eliminate the disease
but if you 'heal a body' the body returns to it's own proper function. (ex.
if you go to a doctor to 'heal' you ear ache he may give you an anti biotic
that acts on bacteria, killing them. But for a broken arm the doctor can
only provide the conditions for the bone to act on itself, growing
together.) It seems to me that there might be some connection with the
distinction between action on a disease state and involvement in the body's
action on itself and the different voice that these two Greek verbs have.

Thanks,

Alia

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Ben Hudson <ben.hudson at student.moore.edu.au