[B-Greek] Carl Conrad's account of Voice and Deponency

Ben Hudson ben.hudson at student.moore.edu.au
Thu Apr 29 22:49:01 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,
This is my first post - so please be nice :)

I have been thinking about Voice and Deponency lately and I've just read Carl Conrad's New Observations on Voice in the Ancient Greek Verb (http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/docs/NewObsAncGrkVc.pdf) and found it very interesting and it rings true in many ways.

I've been trying out a bunch of verb-pairs which are 'Deponent' and non-'Deponent' synonyms as a way of seeing the theory in action.

Take IAOMAI and QERAPEUW, both meaning 'to heal'. IAOMAI is 'deponent' (under the old way of talking about these things) and QERAPEUW (non-deponent).

In Luke 9:1-2 Jesus summons the 12 and
"1 He gave them power and authority over all the demons, and |power| to heal (QERAPEUW) diseases.  2 Then He sent them to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal (IAOMAI) the sick."

I am struggling to see how a 'subject focus' can be seen in v2, but not in v1 for the healing verb.

Ben Hudson
Moore Theological College - Sydney
ben.hudson at student.moore.edu.au