[B-Greek] Question about HLQON vs HLQAN, and EIPON vs EIPAN, etc.

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Wed Apr 28 15:25:41 EDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 2:13 PM, Sarah Madden wrote:
> Thanks, Jeff. I confess I hadn't noticed (or had forgotten) that
> these aorists don't fit the expected patterns until it was brought to my
> attention.
>
> Sarah ><>

I think it's probably worth noting that over the course of centuries the Alpha-endings
increasingly became normative in all the past tenses. Already in Homer there are two
alpha-ending second-aorist verbs: HNEGKA (= HNEGKON) and ECEA (from CEW,
"pour"). In modern Greek all past tenses have alpha endings in the active.