[B-Greek] referential complexity: frames & scenarios and Galatians 6:18

Dr. Don Wilkins drdwilkins at verizon.net
Mon Apr 26 14:06:20 EDT 2010

I had not asked Randall to weigh in on this, but I'm glad that he
did. I also appreciate Carl's humor and his tolerance in our (my)
straying off-topic.

Elizabeth has once again refused further comment, but I appreciate
her input and Yancy's. It appears that you all think that a
translation that is "wooden" for analysis purposes is a bad idea. I'm
not sure Steve Runge would agree, because he seems to see value in
linguistic analysis of an English translation. On that point,
Randall, if you have the time, I would appreciate clarification of
your question, "...should someone who reads Greek poorly at best be
doing Greek analysis from an English text?" I was not asking about
Greek analysis, only linguistic analysis of an English text that is
"wooden" to accurately reflect the Greek text. Perhaps you don't
believe it's possible to accurately represent the original. If you
are saying that one has to master ancient Greek to properly analyze
ancient Greek, and similarly to do linguistic analysis of the Greek
text, I agree. And if you're saying that the best of bad alternatives
is that the non-Greek reader is at the mercy of the translator, I'm
not sure this is best, but I think that it is reality for the average
Bible student. Yancy's argument for using multiple translations in
Bible study works better for someone who reads Greek than for those
who don't, because someone like us can view the different
translations as commentaries, while those who don't read Greek have
no criteria for deciding the most accurate translation (i.e. the one
best representing the Greek). They need the guidance of a proficient
reader of the Greek (or the Hebrew for the OT). But this is way off-
topic (Carl, I apologize in advance).

Don Wilkins