[B-Greek] Fear and Trembling revisited

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Mon Apr 26 09:20:44 EDT 2010

On Apr 26, 2010, at 9:02 AM, Mark Lightman wrote:
> This is a good example of the dictum that the best commentary on the Greek
> NT is the LXX.  Verse seven from this Psalm was a favorite for early Christian
> preaching (Acts 13:33, Heb 1:5.)
>
> It is interesting that in Eph 6:5 Paul appears to be giving advice to slaves that the
> Psalmist gave to Kings.  An inside joke?
>
> Anyway, nice parallel, Richard.  I always find these things helpful.  None of us alone
> can do enough Greek reading outside the NT to catch everything, so it is very helpful
> to share these when we spot them. I still have yet to read the LXX from cover to cover,
> though it's on my to-do list.

The one thing to be wary of in this reliance upon LXX for understanding the GNT: the
LXX may not accurately represent the sense of the Hebrew text from which it derives.
NET has a note on Ps 2:11 that is worth looking at, suggesting that the sense of the
verb translated AGALLIASQE may possibly be "repent."

And I continue to be troubled by the notion of advising a slave to take up a worshipful
attitude toward his human master. It just seems at odds with the phraseology Jesus'
citation of Deuteronomy:
Matt. 4:10 κύριον τὸν θεόν σου προσκυνήσεις καὶ αὐτῷ μόνῳ λατρεύσεις.
[KURION TON QEON SOU PROSKUNHSEIS KAI AUTWi MONWi LATREUSEIS.]