[B-Greek] referential complexity: frames & scenarios and Galatians 6:18

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 25 17:08:31 EDT 2010

On Apr 25, 2010, at 1:11 PM, Yancy W Smith wrote:

> Elizabeth wrote:
>> Translation into the languages of primitive pagan cultures is a nightmare. When the process was first described to me forty some years ago by some SIL people it didn't sound like a very attractive thing to spend your life doing.
>
> And
>
>> The idea that a translation should stand alone (without notes or secondary resources and with church teaching) is in my opinion a bad idea. I have read most of Nida's stuff from the sixties. I didn't buy it when I first read it and I still don't.
>

> Still, some of the most celebrated Orthodox translations have followed very Nidean principles. The Armenian pioneered my Mesrop Mashdots is one, noted for both it's faithfulness and its dynamism. The history of the Georgian translation is similarly remarkable. Modern translators are often quite aware that the work of translation as well as the interpretation and application are determined in the context of the local church, broadly defined. While the Protestant notion of the perspicuity of Scripture may well function as a plank in some ideologies, that is certainly not the case very often in practise.
>
> The recent application of cognitive linguistcs--frame theory and relevance theory--underscore the importance of contextual issues on ever level-- from original text to reading community. Further, institutions like the Nida Institute bring together translators from many translaton pardigms and translation communities involved with translation from business to poetry to sacred texts from various religions, understanding that what Christians of various backgrounds have learned has something to say in the current globalizing world and what others have learned has something to teach Christians. It is an exciting time to be a translator.
>
> Yancy Smith

Yancy does a better job of posting from his iPhone than i do from my 24inch iMac. Still trying to get my "first draft" problems under control, but I figure that anyone who can read Paul in Greek will have no problem with my posts :-)

> Elizabeth wrote:
>> Translation into the languages of primitive pagan cultures is a nightmare. When the process was first described to me forty some years ago by some SIL people it didn't sound like a very attractive thing to spend your life doing.

These comments need to read carefully. Forty odd years ago I was still wondering what on earth was worth doing during the hot days of the cold war and turbulent upheavals of the 1960s cultural revolution. These SIL people which I encountered were going to SE Asia and living under what sounded like horrible circumstances, fighting off dangerous diseases, working with "card files" gathering notes on target cultures ... etc.

The critique of Nidaism was part of a general critique of sociology, anthropology and psychology as it was being taught and practiced when I was in school. It was a matter of coming to grips with the language and culture issue as it was being expressed in the more "progressive" missiology of that era. What was actually happening is post-modernism before anyone had given it that name was flowering among the more left wing evangelicals.  Some of the fundamental ideas that had dominated the social sciences were being adopted ISTM an uncritical manner without much reflection on the presuppositions. This critique was a decade or two in its development, postmodernism already was running under that title when I started reading E.A. Nida. I didn't read his 60s stuff in the 60's. Much later. We already new what the result was because we were already there and reading Nida's early work it was easy to see how social science and bible translation was not always a marriage made in heaven. I was very skeptical because the ideas being presented were very familiar.

All of this sounds very vague but it has to do with language and culture and the historical context in which have been talking about but I suspect we will be shut down any moment now. This will be my last post.

Just wanted to clarify that I am trashing bible translators. Can't understand why anyone would think that. I am always recommending published works by SIL people.

thank you,

Elizabeth Kline