[B-Greek] Linguistics without sweat or tears (was "A Semantic Frame in II Cor. 4")

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Sun Apr 25 08:26:50 EDT 2010

On Apr 25, 2010, at 8:07 AM, Mark Lightman wrote:
> Carl wrote
>
> <The remarkable thing, of course, is that Hoyle's methodology can be taken up and employed at once
> without bothering to read Hoyle's treatise.>
>
> Post-Hoylism is less dependent on Hoyle than neo-Hoylism. The semantic framework that Blue and
> I currently employ lies somewhere in between.
>
> This business of frames goes back to at least Elizabethian times:
>
> GUILDENSTERN:  Good my lord, put your discourse into some frame,
> and start not so wildly from my affair."  (Hamlet, III, ii, 295)

KING: This goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory;...(Hamlet. Act ii. Sc. 2)

MARCELLUS: Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.	(Hamlet Act 1, scene 4)

And please, please, don't attempt to put Soren Kierkegaard or Iver Larsen into this frame!

Levity of levities, saith the Preacher, levity of levities; alll is levity. (attributed to Ecclesiastes)