[B-Greek] PERIFRONTES in 2 Cor 4:10 (or, prepositions and compounds)

Alex Poulos apviper at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 11:51:55 EDT 2010

Greetings B-Greek, my question surrounds the περι in περιφεροντες (PERI in
PERIFERONTES) in 2 Cor 4:10,

"παντοτε την νεκρωσιν του Ιησου εν τῳ σοματι περιφεροντες, ἵνα και ἡ ζωὴ του
Ιησου εν τῳ σοματι ἡμων φανερωθῃ"
"PANTOTE THN NEKRWSIN TOY IHSOU EN TW SOMATI PERIFRONTES, hINA KAI H ZWH TOU
IHSOU EN TW SOMATI HMWN FANERWQH"

Pardon any errors in spelling/transliteration.

I'm wondering if the περι/PERI might ephasize "nearness" or "closeness" to
the sufferings of Christ.  περι followed by an accusative denotes nearness
according to BAGD, but I'm wondering if it's legitimate to have a
preposition in a compound "applying beyond" the compound.  I know
preposition compounds are difficult to deal with, and I simply don't know
enough about how the language works to make a good judgment here.  My
argument in the paper doesn't rest on this point, but it would fit nicely
within the argument if it's at least plausible.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Alex Poulos
Junior - Computer Science