[B-Greek] referential complexity: frames & scenarios

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 23 17:45:55 EDT 2010

On Apr 23, 2010, at 12:29 PM, pburton at umn.edu wrote:

> While there are considerable advantages to making it possible for computers
> to deal with human language, we should remember that the people who
> selected the words being dealt with are not computers. Semantic and other
> classifications of human language have to allow for the human ability to
> mean various things in various ways at various times - even, for example,
> to be able to refer to the words being chosen at the same time as having the
> words chosen refer to whatever else they refer to, whether frequently,
> rarely or even uniquely.

The kind of computer use I had in mind was lexicons. I think lexicons of the printed variety are on their way out even though I still prefer the printed page for my personal use. Frames/scenarios are being used to develop lexicons that will replace the current ones used by translators. The Hebrew lexicon project is old news, almost a decade old. I don't know where the NT stands. Hoyle makes several comments about the implications of Scenarios for lexicons with reference to Louw&Nida which was already theoretically out of date when it hit the street in the late 1980s.

Elizabeth Kline