[B-Greek] 2 Peter 1:1

Yancy Smith yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 22 18:06:30 EDT 2010

Greg Marquez wrote:
Am having a bit of difficulty with 2 Peter 1:1

Συμεὼν Πέτρος δοῦλος καὶ ἀπόστολος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ τοῖς ἰσότιμον ἡμῖν λαχοῦσιν πίστιν ἐν δικαιοσύνῃ τοῦ θεοῦ ἡμῶν καὶ σωτῆρος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ,
[SUMEWN PETROS DOULOS KAI APOSTOLOS IHSOU CRISTOU TOIS ISOTIMON hHMIN LACOUSIN PISTIN EN DIKAIOSUNHi TOU QEOU hHMWN KAI SWTHROS IHSOU CRISTOU, ]

as the concept of receiving faith through the righteousness of God seems to make little sense,

Is it possible to translate this verse as something like: have received the righteousness of God through faith?

Doug Post wrote:
In a word, "yes."

[Yancy Smith] Well, I think that is what some might WANT the text to say, but it doesn't actually say. When we come up on something that doesn't seem to make theological sense, but makes perfect grammatical, we need to question the theological interpretation before enforcing it on the text. In this case, thankfully, v. 3-4 outline the DIKAIOSUNH TOU QEOU as God's covenant keeping action of "making promises" ἡμῖν ἐπαγγέλματα δεδώρηται hHMIN EPAGGELMATA DEDWRHTAI and keeping them in view of his own "glory and virtue of power." The purpose of this divine covenant keeping action is to share a maturing in God's divine nature with God's children who have escaped the corruption of the world v. 3, 6-11. The frame, as Elizabeth Kline is teaching us to envision through a reading of Hoyle's insightful book, is one of Exodus in which God's firstborn son escaped from Egypt and put off the life of slavery to live the life of freedom in covenant with God. The whole sweep of salvation from Sinai to the Kingdom of God is evoked as a frame in v. 16-18, referring to the transfiguration moment when Moses and Elijah stood as a contrast to Jesus, the Son of God.

Yancy Smith
Yancy W. Smith, PhD
World Bible Translation Center
4028 Daley Ave., Suite 201
Fort Worth, TX 76180
p 817-595-1664
f 817580-7013
yancy at wbtc.org

Be kinder than necessary for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.