[B-Greek] QEOPNEUSTOS

James Ernest james.ernest at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 09:59:45 EDT 2010

P.S. Fwiw, Athanasius himself does use the word QEOPNEUSTOS, e.g., in
the opening lines of Contra Gentes.

>From a footnote from The Bible in Athanasius of Alexandria (p. 54):
"This word (from 2 Tim. 3:16) occurs only a handful of times (in
Hippolytus and Clement of Alexandria) before Origen, but Origen uses
it frequently, as do Eusebius, Athanasius, and Didymus. It is
impossible to say whether Athanasius picked up the usage from Origen
or Eusebius or from Alexandrian oral teaching and preaching."

I don't have time to go back and track down all the usages referred to
here, but as George reminds us TLG is a good resource for any who are
so inclined (along with the Lampe Patristic Greek Lexicon and, for
Athanasius, Muller). My suspicion is that they are probably just
stock-phrase uses; since GRAFAI can mean "writings" in a general way
as well as "scriptures," it's useful to throw in an adjective (QEIAI,
hIERAI, hAGIAI, QEOPNEUSTOI, whatever) to emphasize that you mean
"scriptures." Such formulaic usages are not meaningless, but they
hardly provide much basis for extensive extrapolation from the
etymology or semantics of the adjective chosen in each case. I think
sometimes one is used instead of another for stylistic reasons.Again,
context would have to signal the significance (or relative
insignificance) of the word in each case.

James Ernest

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 9:06 AM, James Ernest <james.ernest at gmail.com> wrote:
> The excerpts George cites from a pseudo-Athanasian (late 4th cent? 5th
> cent.?) dialogue between one Mr. Orthodox (ORQ.) and one Mr.
> Macedonian (MAKED.)
<snip>