[B-Greek] QEOPNEUSTOS

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Tue Apr 20 21:56:59 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cornell Machiavelli" <cornellmachiavelli at yahoo.com>
To: "B- Greek" <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 9:42 PM
Subject: [B-Greek] QEOPNEUSTOS

> I'm not sure if this question is out of bounds, but I am trying to find
> out why the word QEOPNEUSTOS has led theologians to conclude that this
> word indicates that the text that is QEOPNEUSTOS must be error-free. Is
> there anything in the etymology of this word that requires the conclusion
> that a text that is partly (man was involved too) the result of
> QEOPNEUSTOS is perfection in all respects? I'm not concerned with whether
> anyone holds to inerrancy or not, I am just wondering about the
> relationship between QEOPNEUSTOS and inerrancy.

The classic evangelical exposition of this was advanced by B.B. Warfield:

http://www.bible-researcher.com/warfield3.html

Essentially, the word should be translated as "God-breathed" (as a number of
modern versions do).  If Scripture is "breathed out by God," it is the very
words of God, and since God is without error, so must his word be without
error.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net