[B-Greek] "result" expressed by adverbial participles?

Dr. Don Wilkins drdwilkins at verizon.net
Tue Apr 20 19:21:59 EDT 2010

Thanks, Elizabeth. It looks like we have common ground here, at
least. To me, BDF is not particularly difficult, nor even long as a
reference grammar. ATR's historical Grammar and the multi-volume set
originally under Moulton are more impressive and challenging. And I
agree with Carl Conrad in preferring Smyth's Grammar (just 784 pp.
including indices etc.) overall. So I hope you're right about Hoyle's
paper having about one-tenth the number of obscure terms found in
BDF. Should be a snap, unless I need to read the entire work (847
pp.). But if you need explanations for any old-school terms, feel
free to ask any old codger on b-greek. I'm sure someone will be happy
to respond. We're even happy to hear suggestions on how to improve
old-school meta language (i.e. improve, not just change). How about
the same for terms like "grammaticalize" and "prenuclear"? Thanks for
the hint about the latter, BTW; in an ordinary context I might have
thought you were talking about pre-World War 2 history.

Don Wilkins