[B-Greek] "result" expressed by adverbial participles?

Steve Runge srunge at logos.com
Tue Apr 20 12:51:06 EDT 2010

To Eddie, Ladislav and Carl,

I think it would be useful to step back and look more broadly at the problem raised. Much attention is devoted to what the grammarians had to say, to the categories they postulated. However, little attention is given to their opening or closing remarks on the matter that often provide important caveats. Below is an extended quote from my "Discourse Grammar of the GNT." The footnotes are changed to parentheses to survive the purging of the server.

--Begin block quote--
Second, there is widespread acknowledgement that more specific verb forms were available that could have more specifically grammaticalized the relation of the participial action to the main verb it is dependent on. In other words, if the writer had wanted to be more specific about the relation to the main action, he had plenty of more specific options available than a participle.

Funk makes this point commenting on circumstantial participles:
For this construction, two finite verbs connected by καί would serve equally well, since the participle of attendant circumstance does not specify the relation between the action of the main verb and the attendant circumstance. (Robert W. Funk, Grammar of Hellenistic Greek, §846.8)
The Greek circumstantial participle is therefore a less precise form of expression than corresponding subordinate clauses of time, condition, concession, etc. (ibid, §845.)

MHT make a similar observation regarding participles of means, manner, etc.:
These analogies are only adduced to show that the use of the participle always lay ready to hand, with or without the auxiliary verb, and was a natural resource whenever the ordinary indicative (or, less often, imperative) was for any cause set aside. (MHT 1, 224.)

Robertson makes the same point in the form of a warning:
In itself, it must be distinctly noted, the participle does not express time, manner, cause, purpose, condition or concession. These ideas are not in the participle, but are merely suggested by the context, if at all, or occasionally by a particle like ἅμα, εὐθύς, καίπερ, ποτέ, νῦν, ὡς. There is no necessity for one to use the circumstantial participle. If he wishes a more precise note of time, cause, condition, purpose, etc., the various subordinate clauses (and the infinitive) are at his command, besides the co-ordinate clauses. (Robertson, Grammar, 1124.)

BDF affirm Robertson's assertion stating, “The logical relation of the circumstantial participle to the rest of the sentence is not expressed by the participle itself (apart from the future participle), but is to be deduced from the context; it can be made clear, however, by the addition of certain particles. Other more extended but more precise constructions are available for the same purpose: prepositional phrases, conditional, causal, temporal clauses, etc., and finally the grammatical co-ordination of two or more verbs” (§417).

Wallace devotes the most time to classifying verbal participles into sub-categories, acknowledging at various points the overlap or ambiguity that exists in the classification. After describing all of these categories, he concludes with the following caveat: “Yet it should be stressed that the participle in itself means none of these ideas”.(Wallace, Greek Grammar, 638) These comments make clear that the concepts of means, manner, condition or time are not part of the semantic meaning of the participle, they are part of the semantics of the context. These concepts or relations (theoretically) would have been present whether a participle or a finite form had been used. In their absence, these relations are left implicit.

The preoccupation with classification for the sake of translation has done much to distract attention from understanding the discourse function of the Greek participle. It is as though exegetes would have preferred an explicit hypotactic or paratactic marker that makes explicit the relation of the action to the main action. However, participles leave such relations implicit. Had the writer chosen to make them explicit, there are ample remedies available. The exegetical significance of this choice must not be overlooked. The propensity to assign classifications to the kind of participle seems driven by a desire to address the mismatch in usage between Greek and English by minimizing or eliminating it.

--End Block quote--

My point here is that Greek did not require the same degree of specificity as we are used to or perhaps prefer in English. Remember that English has constructions that allow imprecision just as Greek had constructions that allowed for more precision, as noted by the grammarians above. This "exegetical problem" about the kind of participle has more to do with differences between the languages than it does with classifying Greek participles. Knowing that the Greek writers had every ability to be more specific, had they wanted to, we must not overlook the fact that *they opted not to provide the detail we would have liked.* Yes, I am yelling here! We need to get over this. So our options are to either to conjecture what they meant to say had they spoken English, or to let the Greek be Greek instead Englishing it. This is where the wide reading and sense of the language comes in. Translation can sometimes be just as poor a metalanguage for communication as grammatical or linguistic jargon, IMHO.

Steven E. Runge, DLitt
Scholar-in-Residence
Logos Bible Software
srunge at logos.com