[B-Greek] Fw: Recommendation for Koine Greek text

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Thu Apr 15 16:43:49 EDT 2010

Forwarded for: "Regan (Lukeion)" <regan at lukeion.org>
Date: April 15, 2010 2:42:39 PM EDT
To: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: RE: B-Greek Digest, Vol 88, Issue 20

> Are you limited to Koine? Why not try Athenaze or the
> JACT series? They use an inductive method and have
> you reading real Greek almost immediately. I know
> that the JACT is aimed at undergrads, but it still might
> be adaptable.
>
> James

This was my thought, James, though I hadn't posted yet.  I believe that I
asked this same question - about a Koine grammar - a year ago and gave my
thoughts at the time.  I teach high school students online using Athenaze.
I love it, and so do they.  They are translating full paragraphs with
story-lines right off the bat, not just exercise sentences.  (It does have
New Testament passages at the end of most chapters.) The second edition, I
understand, is stronger on the grammar than the first edition was (I never
used that).  We do book 1 in a year, and book 2 in a year.  This prepares my
students well for the National Greek Exam (by the ACL), and so far we have a
record of over 80% taking honors each year on the NGE.

I started with Koine Greek in Bible college and seminary, then moved to
Classical, only to find that the Classics students were translating circles
around me.  Now I teach classical Greek, even though the ultimate goal of
most of my students is to read the New Testament.  I believe that if you're
going to the trouble to learn ancient Greek, why not be able to read
Thucydides and Plato alongside Luke and John.   This spring my second year
students finished all of their grammar in book 2 early - we had 4 weeks to
go.  I polled them about what they wanted to read, and they unanimously
chose New Testament.  So we're spending 1 week each on selections from the
Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation.  They're translating 60 to 70 lines
a week and LOVING it.  They agree that it's easier than Classical Greek, but
that only makes it more pleasurable for them and allows us to translate
longer sections.  They're immediately noticing the similarities and
differences between the styles of Greek, and I believe they're more
well-rounded students for having done the Classical Greek first.

My 2 cents.

Regan Barr
regan at lukeion.org
The Lukeion Project