[B-Greek] the Passive for the Aggressive (was Active for Passive?)

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 11:07:21 EDT 2010

Hi, Eric,

What Greek book are you going to buy with your tax refund?  With all the problems
noticed of late on the List with BDAG, it  sounds like it's due for a revision.  If Thayer cost
$25 and BDAG 3 costs $150, what will BDAG 4 cost?  $6400?  Do you think George will buy it?
Do you think NA28 will sell a thousand copies?

I understand why you brought up the sentence "the book sold a thousand copies."  I'm glad
that you did, because it is an interesting sentence.  You are right that these things can go either
way.  George recently compared the Greek historical present to "A man went into a bar, and he
saw a man, and he says..."  This seemed to me to be a great comparison which does help you
understand the Greek without opening up a further can of worms.  But others may very well
find your (I know it's not yours but you just found it on Wikipedia) sentence helpful in unpacking
voice.  Whatever works.

With my tax refund, I am going to send my mother to one of Buth's Ulpans in Galilee. Alone.  With
a one way ticket.  Let Randall deal with her Yiddish Erasmian accent for a while, and then maybe
he will understand me better.  Happy tax day, to one and all.  April is indeed the cruelest of months.

 Mark L

FWSFOROS MARKOS