[B-Greek] Fw: Recommendation for Koine Greek text

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 14:00:57 EDT 2010

Gene wrote:

Without Machen's
> style of repetition, simple introductory exercises, and
> English to Greek
> translation I would never get through to these
> students.

and Kevin wrote

<I would recommend the Dan McCartney's revision of Machen.>

and Michael L wrote

> I am on the last chapter of the first edition of Machen's
> New Testament
> Greek for Beginners.... Overall, despite
> criticism of the book
> being antiquated by some in b-greek,
> the book's main benefit is the English to Greek translation
> exercises in my
> opinion.

Hi, Gene and  Kevin and Michael,

I think it is good to hear from people who like Machen.
Opinion has always been divided on B-Greek between those
who want to praise Machen and those who want to bury him.
Without weighing in on this myself,
I would only point out four indisputable facts:

1.  Machen is the best introductory Greek text book published during the Harding Administration.

2.  The name "Machen" is a little easier to pronounce than the name "Mounce."

3.  Carl Conrad learned to read Greek from a text book which he admits is WORSE than
     Machen, and Carl's Greek is pretty good.

4.  Machen is the only commonly used text book to be dedicated to one's mother, which is why
      it is very popular in my house.  :)

 Mark L

FWSFOROS MARKOS