[B-Greek] Active for Passive?

yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 13 23:05:49 EDT 2010

Well, it isn't a grandiose inscription. The inscription is one of several Lydian "propitiatory" inscriptions found in the area around Kula (today in central Turkey) in what would have been Phrygia. These humble inscriptions are filled with technical religious terms and dialectal expressions. Tonight I found an very dated article dealing with several of them (not including this one) that gives some good background (W. H. Buckler "Some Lydian Proptiatory Inscriptions" in The Annual of the British School at Athens 21 (1914): 169-83.) The inscriptions ward off evils like sciatic pain, eye disease, etc. that are supposed to be the result specific infractions against the deity like, for example, cutting down sacred trees or taking sacred doves. This inscription fits that pattern by suggesting "because of/for things knowing and not knowing." I think Carl's suggestion that the participles refer to unmentioned persons is not likely.  The suggestion by Eric seems the most cogent, "Rather than representing a beneficiary role it would represent a causal role." I wonder about the effect of the local dialect on the Greek. Also, the suggestion that an active form may carry middle or passive meaning, as in English and Norwegian and, I might add Spanish, e.g. "El libro fue un éxito; vendió un millón de copias." I wonder if the verb "EIDWS" here, though active in form "for [things done] knowingly and not knowingly" the thematic role of the things is patient but the agent is left unexpressed. The need for indirection arises from the fear of or respect for the numinous power of the god. This case reminds me of a recent discussion of Romans 8:3 where Paul shies away from saying anything directly disrespectful of the Law in such a way that leaves us going round and round the grammar inconclusively searching for the meaning. In such cases the expression is infelicitous concerning the rules, but gets the idea accross. This is another case where reading or parsing again and again won't land the plane on the sweet spot of meaning.

Yancy Smith, PhD
yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net
Y.W.Smith at tcu.edu
yancy at wbtc.com