[B-Greek] STHKW e.g. Philippians 1:27

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Mon Apr 12 07:26:19 EDT 2010

On Apr 12, 2010, at 2:31 AM, Randall Buth wrote:
>> I personally take Dr. Buth’s philosophy on these matters; that is, instead
> of attempting to determine why, I just take it that is the way Greeks talked
> and go from there.>
>

> It helps to think of ISTHMI  ESTHSA (not so common) as a separate word
> from ESTHKA  ESTHN  (quite common).
>
> Also ANISTAMAI is a good word for internalizing the middle forms of this
> root.
> NYN SY ANI'STASAI,
> (META TAYTA) ANESTHS KAI E'STHKAS.
>
> What is detrimental in my opinion is for beginning vocabulary lists to
> give "ISTHMI  I stand.(tran) and (intran) "
>
> ISTHMI does not mean (intran) I stand, though ESTHKA does.
> They need to be separated as different words for learners,
> just like
> APTEIN (PYR) 'to light'
> APTESQAI TINOS 'to touch'

To pound home what I think has already been said and implied in earlier responses,
I would argue that

hISTAMAI,STHSOMAI,  ESTHN, hESTHKA, ESTAQHN is the standard form of this verb, which means "come to a stand(still)" (i.e. "get up" or "come to a halt");
I don't think there's any difference in semantic voice between ESTHN and ESTAQHN; ESTAQHN is becoming more common than ESTHN in the Koine.
hISTHMI, ESTHSA is the transitive caausative form of the verb: "cause to stand/halt"

The reason why STHKW derives from the perfect stem seems pretty clearly to be that hESTHKA regularly serves to yield the 'present' sense "I am standing," hEISTHKEIN to yield the imperfect sense "I was standing."