[B-Greek] STHKW e.g. Philippians 1:27

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 02:31:42 EDT 2010

>I personally take Dr. Buth’s philosophy on these matters; that is, instead
of attempting to determine why, I just take it that is the way Greeks talked
and go from there.>

It helps to think of ISTHMI  ESTHSA (not so common) as a separate word
from ESTHKA  ESTHN  (quite common).

Also ANISTAMAI is a good word for internalizing the middle forms of this
root.
NYN SY ANI'STASAI,
(META TAYTA) ANESTHS KAI E'STHKAS.

What is detrimental in my opinion is for beginning vocabulary lists to
give "ISTHMI  I stand.(tran) and (intran) "

ISTHMI does not mean (intran) I stand, though ESTHKA does.
They need to be separated as different words for learners,
just like
APTEIN (PYR) 'to light'
APTESQAI TINOS 'to touch'

ERRWSQE