[B-Greek] When Dead Tongues Speak

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 01:23:48 EDT 2010

XAIRE Mark,

The Greek priest had made a comment along those lines and I
thought it good to pass on something because talking with
Greeks can be part of the overall package of the language and
is not often considered by many on list. Especially useful when
sitting on the slopes of the Boulder weather station(?) and
counting ELAFOYS. [joke--but pretty scenery]   And people need
to understand each other's talk, except for 'IMIS'. Moderns will
slip in EMIS/ESIS in such places. The other Greeks in the
post followed along without comment on pronunciation. I kept
my 'HTA' when talking with them, I think, though
I sometimes drop it when visiting in Greece.

On Cana and wine, it was water that we really enjoyed. Cana,
the tel, is a nice 20 minute climb on a somewhat steep slope,
and was in the middle of the day. April is still light weather, but
participants were all encouraged to carry water bottles in
case we only found wine at the top.

We hope to have an audiovisual-clip report for SBL and ETS
this Fall. One person who recorded these things has the raw
footage compressed on a hard drive and already back in the
US. (just got a safe arrival email.)
PS: We've discussed having a panel in 2011 where one person
will discuss the why's and/or history of Erasmian, in Erasmian
pronounced Koine, another will discuss modern pronunciation
in modern-pronounced Koine, and KOINH in KOINH,
followed by open discussion in any language,
presumably English. Hopefully, we/people will see that
pronunciation is not a stumbling block to fluency and that all
three speakers will understand each other. The biggest
difficulty comes when one has not trained the brain to
process at the speed of speech, which we're all working at.

ERRWSO
IWANHS