[B-Greek] STHKW e.g. Philippians 1:27

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 00:04:41 EDT 2010

Hi, Stephen,

Your analysis of this verb is excellent.  LSJ says STHKW is a
"late present" formed from the perfect.  I agree with you that the
use in Phil 1:27 seems to be stative or perfective, "I am firm, I am steadfast,
I'm a stand-up kind of a guy."  The other NT uses seem similar.

It's fairly common of course for a verb to have different forms
FERW/FOREW, DIDWMI/DWPEOMAI, KOPTW/KOPAZW/KOPIAW
etc.  But I cannot think of a NT or other verb that is really analogous
to your take on STHKW.  A really good parallel would be QEIKW
from TIQHMI, if such a word existed.

ISTHMI is such a strange verv to begin with, with this business
of becoming intransitive in several ways (second aorist, perfect,
passive) that it might be hard to find a precise parallel, but I bet
there is something close out there.  I'll keep looking.

But again, a great question and a great insight into this verb.

Mark L

FWSFOROS MARKOS