[B-Greek] Mark 5:1-2 switching "scerarios"

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 10 16:51:29 EDT 2010

from page 100,  Hoyle, Richard A. 2008. Scenarios, discourse, and translation .

> In Genitive Participial Clauses, so-called Genitive Absolutes, the Participle agrees with the head of a Noun Phrase which is different from the subject of the Main Verb. Although the Genitive case indicates that this event has a different subject from that of the Main Verb, I argue that the Participial form still indicates that this event belongs in the Main Verb’s scenario and has a prototypical relationship with the Main Verb.

Mark 5:1 Καὶ ἦλθον εἰς τὸ πέραν τῆς θαλάσσης εἰς τὴν χώραν τῶν Γερασηνῶν.  2 καὶ ἐξελθόντος αὐτοῦ ἐκ τοῦ πλοίου εὐθὺς ὑπήντησεν αὐτῷ ἐκ τῶν μνημείων ἄνθρωπος ἐν πνεύματι ἀκαθάρτῳ,

Mark 5:1 KAI HLQON EIS TO PERAN THS QALASSHS EIS THN CWRAN TWN GERASHNWN.  2 KAI EXELQONTOS AUTOU EK TOU PLOIOU EUQUS hUPHNTHSEN AUTWi EK TWN MNHMEIWN ANQRWPOS EN PNEUMATI AKAQARTWi,

R.Hoyle suggests that "so-called Genitive Absolutes" indicate an event that "belongs in the Main Verb’s scenario and has a prototypical relationship with the Main Verb".

I would argue that in Mk 5:1-2  KAI EXELQONTOS AUTOU EK TOU PLOIOU is an event that belongs to the "travel by boat" or "arrival by boat" scenario and that it marks a transitions between an old scenario and a new one.

To really understand this question you need to read enough of Hoyle to get a grip on what he means by scenario.

Elizabeth Kline