[B-Greek] Narkinsky on obtaining fluency

Louis Sorenson llsorenson at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 10 15:26:44 EDT 2010

Mark Lightman Egrapse εγραψε

> One of Carl's Ad Nauseams indeed this is.? Top Five things
> you should read outside the Greek NT. 1.? Apostolic Fathers
> 2. Homer (not because it will help your NT Greek but because
> he is the greatest?writer in human history. 3. Plato (see #2 above.)
> 4.?The Greek Old Testament. 5? After ?#4, all bets are off.? There
> are?dozens, maybe hundreds of works that could make #5.
> My vote as of today would be Chariton's Callirhoe.? The Greek
> is nothing special and it won't teach you anything important?about
> life.? But what I like about it, is that it is pure Koine in the good
> sense of that word.? The syntax is super-simplified.? There are
> very few particles.? Word order seems to be more natural
> and less for effect.? There is lots of conversational stuff.
> Chariton's?Greek strikes me as very similar to John's on a?good day.

Patrick Egrapse εγραψε

One question I've had, persistently... as an undergrad I was a
philosophy major, so I'd certainly like to read Homer and Plato in the
original.  However... I've been a bit leary of them because I don't
want to confuse myself with different "Greeks".  How different are
they *really*?  How much benefit will I obtain from undertaking a
study of, say, Homeric Greek?  My kids are after me to do Homer with
them, but I've temporized because I didn't want to confuse things

Louis writes...

If you were a philosophy major, you would like to read a philosopher
who used the language and verbage of the New Testament - and yet who
was a Greek and did not read the NT or OT but wrote in the Street talk
of the first and second centuries AD. Yes. Is there such a fellow? Yes.
His name? Epictetus. What did he write? Nothing - except one of his
students transcribed his lectures and then made a summary of them.
The lectures are called the Dialogues. The Summary is called the Enchiridion.
Epictetus was a later Stoic philosopher.

This book is one of the books Dr. Conrad has suggested New Testament
students read (and everyone else) at least once if not many more times
in their life. You can find it several places on the web. I keep a page
at http://www.letsreadgreek.com/epictetus/ . There are many aids on that
site for those who want to read it in Greek. Also Perseus has the text as
does Scholiasticae.org http://www.scholiastae.org/scholia/Main_Page which
has a very nice presentation.

There is also a very interesting book on Epictetus' uncanny parallels
to the language of the New Testament. See
http://www.letsreadgreek.com/epictetus/bibliography.htm#epictetusandthenewtestament
Bonhoffer is the best if you can read German. And if you search
the B-Greek emails a little, you will find out that many others
also recommend reading Epictetus, especially the Enchiridion.

Louis Sorenson