[B-Greek] prepositions and cases - Silvia Luraghi 2003

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 9 16:48:27 EDT 2010

On Apr 9, 2010, at 10:18 AM, Elizabeth Kline wrote:

> I am also skeptical about her mappings of the metaphorical extensions

Luraghi's approach to case and preposition semantics finds some support in Hoyle's chapter on theoretical foundations, at least this one point of contact between Houle's monograph and Luraghi's book. Here is a long citation from R.Houle.

Hoyle, Richard A. 2008. Scenarios, discourse, and translation .
> [...]
> Lakoff (1987:272–275) lists several types of image-schematic ICMs, each based on our bodily experience, together with their structural elements:
> The CONTAINER schema Bodily experience: We experience our bodies as containers and as things in containers (e.g. rooms) Structural elements: INTERIOR, BOUNDARY, EXTERIOR
> 18
> 2. The Structure of Scenarios	19
> The PART-WHOLE schema Bodily experience: We experience our bodies as WHOLES with PARTS in a set relationship Structural elements: WHOLE, PARTS, CONFIGURATION
> The LINK schema Bodily experience: We are first linked to mother by the umbilical cord, as children we hold on to parents and things. Structural elements: Two entities, A and B, and LINK
> The CENTER-PERIPHERY schema Bodily experience: We experience our bodies as having centers (the trunk and internal organs) and peripheries (fingers, toes, hair) Structural elements: ENTITY, CENTER, PERIPHERY
> The SOURCE-PATH-GOAL schema Bodily experience: Going somewhere Structural elements: SOURCE, DESTINATION, PATH, DIRECTION
> Also UP-DOWN, FRONT-BACK, LINEAR ORDER schemas etc.
> I accept Lakoff’s Spatialization of Form hypothesis, that our mental conceptual structures are based on our physical experiences. As Lakoff (1987:283) argues, these image-schematic ICMs are essential for structuring scenarios:
> - Categories (in general) are understood in terms of CONTAINER schemas. - Hierarchical structure is understood in terms of PART-WHOLE schemas and UP-DOWN
> schemas. - Relational structure is understood in terms of LINK schemas. - Radial structure in categories is understood in terms of CENTER-PERIPHERY schemas. - Foreground-background structure is understood in terms of FRONT-BACK schemas. - Linear quantity scales are understood in terms of UP-DOWN schemas and LINEAR ORDER
> schemas.
> By linking mental structuring to man’s physical body, Lakoff’s theory provides a basis for believing that all humans use the same structures in conceptualizing. In other words, although the contents of individual scenarios are language- and culture-specific, the structural patterns of scenarios and the way they are linked are universal.

Elizabeth Kline