[B-Greek] Mark 1:41

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 18:41:37 EDT 2010

Ron wrote:
<Is there anything specific regarding the timing that we can glean from
the events in Mark 1:41, describing the healing of the leper. The first
two verbs are aorist, while the verb for speaking is found in the
present tense. Does it make sense to understand that Jesus was speaking
at the same time He was extending His hand, which culminated in the
physical contact with the leper? Or, should one read the present tense
as occurring after the contact?

kai. splagchnisqei evkteinas he cheira autou hpsato kai legei autw

??? ????????????? ???????? ??? ????? ????? ????? ??? ????? ????>

Hi, Ron,

If I understand the rule correctly, the fact that the participle EKTEINAS
is aorist would imply that it took place before the two main verbs.
The fact that one main verb is aorist and the other (LEGEI) is present
would not really matter here.

Even if I am remembering this rule correctly, I know for a fact that
the rule is broken all the time, but in this case, since the context
would suggest that the stretching would take place before the talking,
I think it makes sense to understand it this way.

As often happens, there is a question which you did not ask that
one might be tempted to try to answer, namely why λεγει LEGEI is
in the historical present and ἡψατο hHYATO is not.  If anyone has any
ideas, I'd like to hear , but it strikes me as just a stylistic thing.

ERRWSO

Mark L

Mark L

FWSFOROS MARKOS

Is there anything specific regarding the timing that we can glean from
the events in Mark 1:41, describing the healing of the leper. The first
two verbs are aorist, while the verb for speaking is found in the
present tense. Does it make sense to understand that Jesus was speaking
at the same time He was extending His hand, which culminated in the
physical contact with the leper? Or, should one read the present tense
as occurring after the contact?

kai. splagchnisqei evkteinas he cheira autou hpsato kai legei autw

I hope the transliteration is ok, since I could not find anyplace on the
list page that gives the scheme. Will also include the unicode version
for those that can read it.

Regards,

Ron Snider

B-Greek mailing list