[B-Greek] prepositions and cases - Silvia Luraghi 2003

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 8 17:42:53 EDT 2010

On the meaning of prepositions and cases: the expression of semantic roles ... By Silvia Luraghi

On the Meaning of Prepositions and Cases: The expression of semantic roles in Ancient Greek
Luraghi, Silvia
Studies in Language Companion Series 67

I've managed to wade through the first 75 pages of this in the last 24hours.
Not sure about the basic assumptions. I wonder what sort of problems one will introduce into their "framework" by assuming that the semantic roles for cases and prepositions have *all* been derived metaphorically from spacial relationships. When did this happen? A thousand years before the Iliad?

I am also continuing to read Hoyle's paper[1] on Scenarios. Both authors claim to be working within the cognitive school of linguistics, both cite Fillmore, Lakoff, etc. Reading them at the same time is an eye opener. You would conclude from a superficial reading of Silvia Luraghi that she had anything what ever to do with frame semantics. I was able with a two dictionaries (D.Crystal and R.Trask) to make it through her chapter on theoretical foundations. It was a trying experience, undertaken after a long day and a large dinner. About 11pm I finished that chapter with a reasonable level of comprehension.

Anyway, most of her examples are form Homer, Herodotus with few from Plato, Aristotle, Xeno. etc. Not much here for b-greek discussion.

Elizabeth Kline

Hoyle, Richard A. 2008. Scenarios, discourse, and translation ...