[B-Greek] DEUTEROPRWTWi in Luke 6:1

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 01:23:54 EDT 2010

On the contrary, there is plenty of evidence to support our contention that δευτεροπρωτω DEUTEROPRWTW is a corruption.

First, let us deal with Liddell.  What you are citing is not Liddell-Scott-Jones, the estemed lexicon of the Greek language, but rather the Intermediate Greek Lexicon which was an abridgement of the full lexicon and designed for school use.  The unabridged lexicon states
 δευτεροπρωτον

BDAG statesσάββατον, τό, prob. corrupt in Ev.Luc.6.1 (no expl. is satisfactory).
δευτερόπρωτος, ον
and Moulton and Milligan state

It is almost superfluous to say that we have found no support for this famous vox nihili(Lk 6:1), the only interest of which to-day is the curious problem of its early entrance into the text. (Note that W is now added to the MSS rejecting it.) Grimm’s superficially parallel δευτερέσχατος“second last, last but one,” is no help: “first but one” is δεύτεροςsimply. Δεκάπρωτος, “one of ten πρῶτοι,” is clearly not parallel. One of the most ingenious explanations is that of F. C. Burkitt (Gosp. Hist.p. 81n.), that the βαof σαββάτῳwas repeated at the beginning of a new line, and then βατωexpanded as δευτερο- πρώτῳ—cf. ιβμήνουcited above under δεκαδύο.

I don't seem to have Jerome's epistles or I would quote the one referenced in BDAG.

Now, regarding the evidence that δευτεροπρωτω DEUTEROPRWTW is a corruption.  Both the best manuscripts, Vaticanus (B) and Sinaiticus (א) lack the word.  These are generally the two best witnesses to the original text.  Not only, however, do Vaticanus (B) and Sinaiticus (א) lack the word, but also P4 which dates from probably 150-175 lacks it as well.  This is pretty convincing evidence.

Regarding ἄφρων AFRWN or ἄφρον AFRON, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.  The one appears in the critical text of Lk 12.20 while the other appears in the Byz Maj text.  Perhaps you are simply attempting to defend the Byz Maj text in this passage as well as Lk 6.1?  In this case the attestation for the critical text is likewise strong (as a matter of fact, even stronger than for Lk 6.1).

 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.