[B-Greek] DEUTEROPRWTWi in Luke 6:1

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 6 19:10:33 EDT 2010

δευτεροπρωτον DEUTEROPRWTON, as you note is accepted by the TR, the Byzantine Majority text and those who follow it.  You need to begin using the NA27 or even WH.  It appears nowhere else  Liddell, Scott, Jones lists it as "probably corrupt."  How could it be anything else?  Metzger in his _Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament_ states

The word δευτεροπρῶτος DEUTEROPRWTOS occurs nowhere else, and appears to be a vox nullathat arose accidentally through a transcriptional blunder. Perhaps some copyist introduced πρώτῳPRWTWi as a correlative to ἐν ἑτέρῳ σαββάτῳ EN hETERWi SABBATWi in ver. 6, and a second copyist, in view of 4.31, wrote δευτέρῳ DEUTERWi, deleting πρώτῳ PRWTWi by using dots over the letters — which was the customary way of cancelling a word. A subsequent transcriber, not noticing the dots, mistakenly combined the two words into one, which he introduced into the text. Alternatively, as Skeat has suggested, by dittography the letters βατω BATW were added to σαββάτῳ SABBATWi. A later copyist interpreted the βB as δευτέρῳ DEUTERWi and the α A as πρώτῳ PRWTWi, and took τῳ TWi as an indication that the adjective was to agree with σαββάτῳ SABBATWi.

Metzger, B. M., & United Bible Societies. (1994). A textual commentary on the Greek New Testament, second edition a companion volume to the United Bible Societies' Greek New Testament (4th rev. ed.) (116). London; New York: United Bible Societies.

It reminds me of a bank I saw which still leaves me scratching my head in puzzlement -- "Fifth Third Bank."  It certainly sounds like what is commonly said regarding "military intelligence."
 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.