[B-Greek] FOBOS in Eph 5-6

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 4 23:59:33 EDT 2010

On Apr 4, 2010, at 6:30 PM, Bryant J. Williams III wrote:

> Another thought regards the initial context that the servants are in a situation
> that is quite serious. ANY disobedience on their part could lead to their death.
> This is true in the Greco-Roman world where the master of a slave did not need
> permission of the authorities to put a slave to death.

Which illustrates that what I call "semantic situations" are anchored firmly in cultural-historical realities of everyday life. The reason that instructions about submission could be communicated by Paul with minimal encoding was the shared understanding between Paul and his addressees about "the rules" that were in force whether they liked them or not. The recognition that shared cultural assumptions plays a monumental roll in oral/written communication shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. The cognitive linguistics people are just trying to find systematic way of dealing with this common sense notion. It isn't rocket science. There is nothing profound or earth shattering about it.

> Remember Spartacus and
> the slave revolt under him. Philemon also shows that for Paul, at least, that
> there was no difference between the slave and non-slave with respect to persons
> in Christ. Both were to treat each other as brothers in Christ. In the meantime,
> one still has to see the warning given to the masters in 6:9.
>
> Paul was a realist as well as an idealist. Submission to the authorities
> extended to the wives, to the children and to the servants. Even the masters of
> servants, children (parents) and wives (husbands) explicitly were told of their
> responsibilities over their charges as they also submitted to Christ.

BTW, I have read a few pages deep into Richard A. Hoyle's thesis and discovered that my implementation of "semantic situations" is quite a bit different than his "scenarios".  He appears to  by tying scenarios firmly to surface structure which was a complete shock. We are really not singing in the same choir :-) That is the problem with SIL linguists, just when think you understand what they are saying they throw you a curve and you realize you aren't tracking with them.

Elizabeth Kline