[B-Greek] FOBOS in Eph 5-6

Bryant J. Williams III bjwvmw at com-pair.net
Sun Apr 4 21:30:06 EDT 2010

Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for the reference to Cognitive Linguistics.

Another thought regards the initial context that the servants are in a situation
that is quite serious. ANY disobedience on their part could lead to their death.
This is true in the Greco-Roman world where the master of a slave did not need
permission of the authorities to put a slave to death. Remember Spartacus and
the slave revolt under him. Philemon also shows that for Paul, at least, that
there was no difference between the slave and non-slave with respect to persons
in Christ. Both were to treat each other as brothers in Christ. In the meantime,
one still has to see the warning given to the masters in 6:9.

Paul was a realist as well as an idealist. Submission to the authorities
extended to the wives, to the children and to the servants. Even the masters of
servants, children (parents) and wives (husbands) explicitly were told of their
responsibilities over their charges as they also submitted to Christ.

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III