[B-Greek] doubleplusunprettyful (was FOBOS in Eph 5-6

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 4 21:25:16 EDT 2010

Elizabeth wrote:

<I am assuming at least some of you have taken
 a look at R.A. Hoyle's paper.>

Hi, Elizabeth,

Indeed I have.  For those who have not, here is an excerpt,
more or less chosen at random.  From page 536:

"I posit that unmarked relationships between elements
 in a text are understood
in the light of the prototoypical relationships of those
 elements within the open scenario.
It is clear that contraexpectation relationships
 are not prototypical, hence the fact that
contraexpectation is frequently marked in Participle clusters,
 whereas almost all other
semantic relationships are grammatically and lexically unmarked.:
And here is an except from page 44 of George Orwell's 1984:
"times 3.12.83 reporting bb dayorder doubleplusungood refs
unpersons rewrite fullwise upsub antefiling."

Now, let me ask you a question.  Which of these prose
specimens is easier to understand?  Which is better written?
Which corresponds more closely to something in the real world?

Carl wrote

<I do indeed believe that "grammaticalize" is a barbarism.>

Interesting choice of a word, but I can think of none
better.  And Carl said this in the context of DEFENDING
Linguistics.  These are not isolated examples.  "Count
word?"  Count is a verb or maybe a noun.  To use it
as an adjective is first to destroy language in order
to make it more clear.  What you are asking us to do,
you and Steve R and maybe Carl, is this:  In order to
understand one language (Greek) which is beautiful and
by definition non-barbaric, we are asked to learn another
one (Linguisticspeak) which is barbaric and doubleplusunprettyful.

That's too harsh.  We all want the same thing here.
If it will help me understand Greek any better, I will
do ANYTHING.  I'll stand on my head.  There has to be
something to do this stuff.  Entire Departments of Linguistics
cannot be wrong.  Bear with me, Elizabeth and Steve, and Yancy
and Iver. I'm trying to bellyfeel this stuff the best I can.

Mark L

FWSFOROS MARKOS