[B-Greek] FOBOS in Eph 5-6

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 4 20:04:56 EDT 2010

I am assuming at least some of you have taken a look at R.A. Hoyle's paper.

The title of the scenario here might be "obedience out of fear" the identity of the greek words used is not very important. A scenario involves a script with players in different roles and so forth. The demons obey Jesus out of fear. The fear and the obedience may not be explicitly mentioned in the same context since a scenario is a prototype constructed out of numerous events which share a number of significant features.

Mark 1:27 καὶ ἐθαμβήθησαν ἅπαντες ὥστε συζητεῖν πρὸς ἑαυτοὺς λέγοντας· τί ἐστιν τοῦτο; διδαχὴ καινὴ κατ᾿ ἐξουσίαν· καὶ τοῖς πνεύμασι τοῖς ἀκαθάρτοις ἐπιτάσσει, καὶ ὑπακούουσιν αὐτῷ.

Mark 1:27 KAI EQAMBHQHSAN hAPANTES hWSTE SUZHTEIN PROS hEAUTOUS LEGONTAS· TI ESTIN TOUTO; DIDACH KAINH KAT᾿ EXOUSIAN· KAI TOIS PNEUMASI TOIS AKAQARTOIS EPITASSEI, KAI hUPAKOUOUSIN AUTWi.

In the remarkable story of the Gerasene demoniac the fear is evident in the request

29 καὶ ἰδοὺ ἔκραξαν λέγοντες· τί ἡμῖν καὶ σοί, υἱὲ τοῦ θεοῦ; ἦλθες ὧδε πρὸ καιροῦ βασανίσαι ἡμᾶς;  30 ἦν δὲ μακρὰν ἀπ᾿ αὐτῶν ἀγέλη χοίρων πολλῶν βοσκομένη.  31 οἱ δὲ δαίμονες παρεκάλουν αὐτὸν λέγοντες· εἰ ἐκβάλλεις ἡμᾶς, ἀπόστειλον ἡμᾶς εἰς τὴν ἀγέλην τῶν χοίρων.

Matt. 8:29 KAI IDOU EKRAXAN LEGONTES· TI hHMIN KAI SOI, hUIE TOU QEOU; HLQES hWDE PRO KAIROU BASANISAI hHMAS;  30 HN DE MAKRAN AP᾿ AUTWN AGELH COIRWN POLLWN BOSKOMENH.  31 hOI DE DAIMONES PAREKALOUN AUTON LEGONTES· EI EKBALLEIS hHMAS, APOSTEILON hHMAS EIS THN AGELHN TWN COIRWN.

The Ephesians scenario Eph. 5:21 Ὑποτασσόμενοι ἀλλήλοις ἐν φόβῳ Χριστοῦ is not narative but a command embedded in paraenesis. However, it shares some significant features with the "obedience out of fear" scenario in the narative.

Elizabeth Kline