[B-Greek] FOBOS in Eph 5-6

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 4 17:34:24 EDT 2010

On Apr 4, 2010, at 6:35 AM, Bryant J. Williams III wrote:

> This is one time where I think FOBOS has the meaning of "reverential awe" with a
> little "fear/terror" alongside of it. My reasoning is that any approach with
> regards to God/Christ/Holy Spirit as a Christian is to be with confidence
> (Hebrews uses "boldness"; I John 4:18 uses "no fear in love). Yet, at the same
> time, there is in the back of my mind that since I am dealing with God, there is
> to be a little more than reverential awe/respect because of who He is (TREMOS).
>
> En Xristwi,
>
> Rev. Bryant J. Williams III

Thank you Bryant,

I think this could be understood in terms of scenario theory in Cognitive Linguistics [1]. FOBOS with a genitive or dative of QEOS, KURIOS, or CRISTOS where the agent-experiencer of FOBOS is Christian is a different "semantic situation" or scenario than the demons fear (FRISSOUSIN) of QEOS, KURIOS, or CRISTOS. Perhaps one could argue that the scenario is the same but the sense is different because the agent-experiencer slot is filled in one case by hostile (unqualified) agent.

James 2:19 σὺ πιστεύεις ὅτι εἷς ἐστιν ὁ θεός, καλῶς ποιεῖς· καὶ τὰ δαιμόνια πιστεύουσιν καὶ φρίσσουσιν.

James 2:19 SU PISTEUEIS hOTI hEIS ESTIN hO QEOS, KALWS POIEIS· KAI TA DAIMONIA PISTEUOUSIN KAI FRISSOUSIN.

Elizabeth Kline

[1] Appendix Section 2. Scenarios and New Testament Greek ..................527
Scenarios, Discourse, and Translation
The scenario theory of Cognitive Linguistics, its relevance for analysing New Testament Greek and modern Parkari texts, and its implications for translation theory
Richard A. Hoyle