[B-Greek] FOBOS in Eph 5-6

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 4 02:23:10 EDT 2010

Thank you George. All the seminarians from Texas should light a candle for H.Hoehner who has demythologized the "critical consensus" on the authorship of Ephesians. On the question of FOBOS in Paul, I have looked at H.Balz (EDNT) and F.W.Danker (BDAG). After looking over passages where Paul uses the word FOBOS, I am not very confident in the dictionaries handling of this question. H.Balz scheme requires that you accept his "history" of Paulinism, which I don't accept. In other words, the meaning of the word in a given context is dependent on authorship to some extent, a discussion that doesn't interest me anyway. So let's forget H.Balz.

On the other hand, there seems to be a lot of  waffling going in the secondary literature with regard to the word FOBOS. It can mean terror, fear, anxiety. It can be positive, particularly with the genitive or dative of QEOS, KURIOS, or XRISTOS (once only in Eph. 5:21).

I am still thinking about this one. Like Iver, I some times have doubts about the reliability of the standard dictionaries. This is one of those times.

Elizabeth Kline