[B-Greek] FOBOS in Eph 5-6

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 19:21:20 EDT 2010

While the authorship of Ephesians may be open to question, most will admit to a certain likeness between it and what are considered to be genuine Pauline writings.  In view of this, I think a comparison with Paul's usage of the concept of φόβος FOBOS and τρόμος TROMOS would be useful.  Paul seems to seldom use φόβος FOBOS in a literal sense as meaning "fear."  In particular the combination of φόβος FOBOS and τρόμος TROMOS does not seem to indicate such.  E.g., in 1 Cor 2.3 it seems to indicate a nervousness or hesitancy as also seems to be the case in 2 Cor 7.15.  It is difficult to imagine Paul as actually being fearful, and the reception of Titus would hardly seem to command such.  I think most of the uses of φόβος FOBOS in Paul seems to carry the concept of respect or reverence while τρόμος TROMOS seems to convey a certain hesitancy or nervousness.
 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.