[B-Greek] question regarding 1 Tim 6:10

Rod Rogers rngrogers at embarqmail.com
Sat Apr 3 01:04:49 EDT 2010

Yancy, if I understand you correctly here, we may have to
disagree agreeably. When I come to a clause such as the first
clause in 1 Tim 6:10, hRIZA GAR PANTWN TWN KATWN ESTIN hH
FILARGURIA, I do so after having read verses 1-9 and especially
6-9. I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck here but I'm sure you
have read comments on this list and it was obvious that they had
not considered the context in which the verse is in found. When
someone asks a question about how to translate a verse, in this
case 1 Tim 6:10, it is easy to stare at the tree and miss the
obvious forest.

Wallace has stated that he sees six possibilities in translating
the first clause of this verse.

 (1) “the love of money is a root of all evils,”
 (2) “the love of money is the root of all evils,”
 (3) “the love of money motivates all evils,”
 (4) “the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils,”
 (5) “the love of money is the root of all kinds of evils,”
 (6) “the love of money motivates all kinds of evils.”

As you know, I personally think that scripture is it's best
commentary and therefore I can eliminate the first three
possibilities. Second, hRIZA is anarthrous and therefore you need
to have a good reason for placing the article in the English
translation if you do. I see no good reason for doing so. That
leaves the possibility of #4 and #6. While I don't see a
significant difference between "root" and "cause" I would chose
#4 because of the predicate nominative construction and the
equative verb.

That is how I would go about exegeting this clause but that is
not enough. Is my conclusion consistent with the context and then
consistent with scripture at large. That is the final question I
would ask. In verse 10 Paul gives another "possibly perplexing"
command, "flee these things". What things? Foolish and hurtful
lusts, the "all kinds of evils". So, here again, I don't think
that this clause is that demanding. I have no problem dismissing
that which scripture has already rejected as an option.

rod rogers
bargersville, in