[B-Greek] question regarding 1 Tim 6:10

yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 2 09:47:38 EDT 2010

No offense taken. Hope my dense and insubstantial comments don't continue to cause irritation.
I think we are probably in agreement with Wallace that hRIZA PANTWN is most likely definite. But, independent of the question of the definiteness of hRIZA, the textual meaning represents an exaggeration which the audience were warranted to read as such. That is why I think Wallace is warranted to give the "idea" represented by the text (as distinct from the textual meaning). His discussion is not helpful as to why the mismatch between meaning and form. That is a general weakness of a formalist approach.

Skewing of verbal form and speaker meaning is particularly a feature of quoted, proverbial speech. And so is the definite use of Ø article preverbal nouns (anarthrous, preverbal nouns). Summaries or general statements, or resumptive statements—all of which can be seen as a form of self-quotation or Michael Aubrey's redundancy, also feature definite Ø-article nouns. The definite Ø-article preverbal noun is often confusing to new readers. Ø-article definiteness is also found in Spanish in similar instances.
I simply assumed this in my previous posts, but here are other examples:

Heb 9:15 DIAQHKHS KAINHS MESITIHS ESTIN
Eph. 5:23 ANHR ESTIN KEFALH THS GUNAIKOS
1 Cor 11:3 KEFALH DE GUNAIKOS O ANHR
John 3:29 O ECWN THN NUMFHN NUMFIOS ESTIN
Mark 2:28 KURIOS ESTIN O UIOS TOU ANQRWPOU KAI TOU SABBATOU

I'm sure we could find others. All this shows that, while article use/non-use in KOINH Greek share features with English, we should guard against thinking that use/non use of the definite article has the same meaning accross languages.

Yancy Smith, PhD
yancywsmith at sbcglobal.net
Y.W.Smith at tcu.edu
yancy at wbtc.com